This program is intended to financially assist individuals who wish to have their dog or cat spayed or neutered, while encouraging them to establish a relationship with a local veterinary clinic.
The vouchers are issued once per quarter. The dates are:
- 4th Quarter, 2017 – October 07
- 1st Quarter, 2018 – February 10
- 2nd Quarter, 2018 – April 21
- 3rd Quarter, 2018 – July 14
- 4th Quarter, 2018 – October 06
Some things you need to know if you want to apply…
- The voucher distribution events are now held at 8:00 a.m.; in the conference room of the Jefferson City Animal Shelter, 2308 Hyde Park Rd. You may wish to arrive early to get in line, as they are sold on a first-come first-serve basis.
- Applications will be handed out, completed and reviewed on site.
- One application per person, one pet per application. The only way to receive more than one voucher is to bring another person with you to apply for one. (Must be 16+)
- The vouchers are sold on a first-come first-serve basis, pending application approval. We issue 60 vouchers per quarter.
- A voucher costs $20.00, Cash Only, due at time of issue.
- The voucher will expire 30 days from the date it is issued.
- Your pet needs to be at least 5 months old, and cannot currently be pregnant or nursing, unless you have spoken to your veterinarian and they have agreed to operate under these circumstances.
- With the voucher you will receive a list of participating veterinarians. You will be responsible for making an appointment with the vet clinic of your choice.
- Do Not bring your pet to the voucher distribution event.
How this program works….
One of the most significant ways we can help decrease the number of homeless pets entering our shelter is through our spay & neuter program.
When you come to our event and purchase a Low-Cost voucher for $20, that is not actually what the veterinarians are charging for their services. The Friends of the JCAS do receive a bill for your spay/neuter, and we do pay the vet clinics their standard rate (not to exceed our agreed upon maximum compensation limits).
For 2014 we sold 190 vouchers at $20 each. This brought in $3,800.00 income. However, we paid our participating vets $26,057.30 for the surgeries incurred from those vouchers. That means we spent $22,257.30 of donated funds to sustain this program.
This is why we continue to hold fundraisers, why we limit the number of vouchers we can sell, and why we hope that if you truly can afford to pay for a spay/neuter that you do, and leave the limited number of vouchers for those who truly need them.
We are so thankful for the community’s support! Whether you attend our fundraisers, buy our t-shirts, drop change in our canisters, have money withheld from your paycheck through the Mo State Charitable Campaign – it all adds up, and enables us to give back to the community through this Low-Cost Spay & Neuter program. Thank you so much!!!
Countryside Veterinary Clinic
Markway Veterinary Services
Steck, Greg DVM
Click Here for Additional Local Low-Cost Options